Saturday, October 8, 2016

Narnia: Aslan and Edmund after the parley

[The passion of Aslan works much better for me if Aslan isn't sure of anything.  He hopes that his sacrifice will not be meaningless, he hopes that it will serve a higher purpose, he hopes that . . . but he knows not a damned thing and so he also fears.]
[So, part of that, is that he fears he won't be able to defend or comfort Edmund, whose only crime was trusting the wrong person and eating enchanted food.]

-

There was an uneasy silence as the witch left.

Once the witch was beyond the sight of even the keenest eyes and the hearing of even the most sensitive ears, Aslan said, "We must leave this place at once. Part of our agreement was that the witch and her army be given access to the stone table. Tonight we will camp at the Fords of Beruna."

Though many wished to ask what the whole agreement with the witch had been, moving an army's camp is no small feat, and to do it before nightfall required frantic activity. Few had the time to question the great lion, and those that did soon found he was speaking in private with Edmund.


"The details of my agreement with the witch must remain a secret," Aslan said, "for many would blame you, wrongly, for what I had to yield in our negotiations."

Edmund heard Aslan's words, and even processed them on some level, but what he noticed most was the way Aslan carried himself and spoke.

"Aslan," Edmund asked, "are you alright?"

"I'm . . . fine," Aslan said, though Edmund thought he was anything but. "Just remember that what is happening is not your fault. It has been a long time coming and if I had been able to enter Narnia at the start of the Witch's reign it would have happened then. Nothing I do is your responsibility, and while you may feel it, you deserve no guilt."

"What's going on?" Edmund asked. His voice was full of concern and a disquiet troubled his mind.

"Forces set in motion long ago and long held rivalries will reach finally clash," Aslan said. "Narnia may never be the same. Just remember that none of it is your fault. Please remember this."

"Aslan, you're scaring me," Edmund said.

"Please, Edmund," Aslan said. "Please remember that you bear no blame."

"I will," Edmund said. "But what is going to happen?"

"I believe . . . I hope, that good will triumph over evil," Aslan said. "That mistakes and immoralities woven into the very fabric of this world will finally be excised.

"I fear . . ." Aslan's face was marred by sadness. "I fear a great many things. These are my burdens, however. You have just recently escaped death. I would not trouble you with them. If you are able, it would please me if you could find some joy in remainder of the day and the coming night."

"I'm worried about you," Edmund said.

"If I could free you from that worry," Aslan said, "I would."

Silence reigned within the tent.

"I must go and oversee the dismantling of the camp," Aslan said. He walked to the door of the tent then turned back to Edmund, "It will take some time, there will be another meal here before we begin the march away. I hope you can find some joy in it."

1 comment: